Deadline date—April 15, 2023
No application fee.
Winner will compose a new work for Vancouver-based pianist Corey Hamm. The commissioned work will be for solo piano (5 minutes duration) and be premiered in the spring of 2024 in Winnipeg. Winner’s travel and accommodation, as well as the commissioning fee, will be covered by GroundSwell.
See full details below!
GroundSwell is pleased to announce its biennial Emerging Composers Competition! The competition is open to Canadian composers under 30 years of age.
- Deadline date—April 15, 2023.
- No application fee.
- Winner will compose a new work for Vancouver-based pianist Corey Hamm. The commissioned work will be for solo piano (5 minutes duration) and be premiered in the spring of 2024 in Winnipeg. Winner’s travel and accommodation, as well as the commissioning fee, will be covered by GroundSwell.
- Deadline date—April 15, 2023 (11:59PM).
- Announcement of winner, June 15, 2023.
- First draft of the commissioned work for solo piano shall be completed by November 15, 2023; final version by January 15, 2024.
Composers must be:
- 30 years old or younger by the deadline date.
- Unaffiliated with GroundSwell.
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- OR, foreign students enrolled in a post-secondary music program in Canada.
- Submit one score with recording of a work involving piano (solo, or small ensembles up to 6 players). Digital renderings acceptable. Only one application per composer will be accepted.
- Applications will only be accepted digitally sent to email@example.com with <<GroundSwell Emerging Composers Competition_2023>> as the subject heading. Include links for score, recording with a link to Dropbox or WeTransfer. Include a brief biography (250 words).
- Works will be adjudicated by a jury of new music professionals chosen by GroundSwell.
- One commission prize will be awarded and all decisions of the jury will be final.
Since 1991 GroundSwell has been challenging its audiences with an eclectic combination of all that is good about new music. As Manitoba’s only series dedicated to presenting contemporary music, GroundSwell has showcased diverse programming featuring everything from inspiring interpretations of 20th-century classics to exciting fusions of visual art, theatre, dance, and the written word. Every season GroundSwell presents exciting new worlds of contemporary performance, from local music to international works, and is proud to promote and explore the best of Canada’s diverse and vibrant new music scene.
For more information
Contact David R. Scott, Executive Director & Artistic Coordinator, GroundSwell, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org