GroundSwell is pleased to announce its biennial Emerging Composers Competition. The competition is open to Canadian composers under 30 years of age and is for electroacoustic pieces composed between 2015 and 2020.
- Deadline date—October 15, 2020 (11:59PM)
- Announcement of five finalists—November 15, 2020
- GroundSwell—Linked online concert event—time, date & platform to be announced
Composers must be:
- 30 years old or younger by the deadline date
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- OR, foreign students enrolled in a post-secondary music program in Canada
- Submit one electroacoustic composition to a maximum duration of 15 minutes. Works must have been written between 2015 and 2020. Only one application per composer will be accepted.
- Works must be: 1) wav files; 2) two-channel stereo; 3) labelled as follows <<lastname_titleofpiece_yearofcomposition>>. No other formats will be accepted.
- Applications will only be accepted by email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with <<Emerging Composers Competition_2020>> as the subject heading. Applicants will submit works using a Dropbox link or WeTransfer. Include a brief biography (250 words).
- Works will be adjudicated by an international panel of judges
- Five works will be selected for online broadcast. One will be by a Manitoba composer
- First and second prizes will be determined by the jury as follows: 1st prize = $1,000; 2nd prize = $750
- One additional prize will be determined by online audience vote following the broadcast: Special Audience Prize = $250
- All decisions of both the jury and audience will be final.
For more information, contact David R. Scott, Executive Director & Artistic Coordinator, GroundSwell, Inc. <email@example.com>, 204-943-5770